MAC obsession aside, I decided it was time to branch out and start trying some different products. Below are my favourites for this month and oh my goodness, they are awesome.
1. Okay so first up, is the MUA-Trio Eyeshadow in Chocolate Box. I'm cheating a little bit with this one as I've actually been using it for about a year now. I bought this product on the off chance because I wanted a cheap eyeshadow (not my MAC ones) to take to a weekend working at last year's V Festival. We do the PR for the VIP area but accommodation is either winnebago or tour bus and you do lose stuff, so this was a good alternative option. This set comes with three eye shadows, hence the word 'Trio' and the colours are absolutely gorgeous, insanely long lasting (I have gone out all night wearing these and they haven't moved) and to top it off each palette is £2.50. There is also a guide on the back of the packaging which recommends which area of the eye to use each shade. I use this product pretty much every day, the eyeshadows are highly pigmented but you can also build the colour, depending on how dramatic you want your eye makeup to look. For this reason, MUA's Trio Eyeshadows are an amazing 'day to night' product. As you can probably see from the scruffiness of the box in the picture, despite being used day to day for the past 8 months, these are showing no signs of running out any time soon. Amazing product. Amazing value for money. I can't wait to try the other colour combinations. You can buy MUA Trio Eyeshadows from Superdrug or online here
2. NARS Lip Gloss in Turkish Delight is amazing. I've been getting back into Nude lips of late but where I used to cover my mouth in foundation when I was about 13 and put lip gloss over it - complete no, no - I understand that there is more of a skill to it now. Pinky nude - I can still see you have a mouth - lips are better than nude nude - your mouth has disappeared into your face - lips. Turkish Delight is part of NARS' Cult Classic range and one of their best sellers, for good reason. This looks amazing worn on it's own or over other lipsticks, I tend to wear this over my Dior Incognito lipstick - reviewed below. The lip gloss is enriched with Vitamin E, so it doesn't dry your lips out and there's none of that stickiness that you get with some glosses. The colour is a creamy, baby pink that looks great with any skin tone. The only thing that I will say is that due to the non-sticky nature of this lipgloss the product doesn't hold to the applicator very well and I find myself having to put it back in again 2-3 times for one application. NARS Turkish Delight is £17.50 and you can buy it here
3. NARS blush in Orgasm. I think most makeup enthusiasts will be familiar with this blusher. It's accumulated a high volume of coverage since it launched and NARS is best known for it's fantastic blushers. Although highly pigmented, Orgasm still gives a natural pink tint and the shimmer tone gives skin a glow. I put this on the apples of my cheeks, it blends seamlessly with my bronzer and lasts all day. I get home from work and it literally hasn't moved. I love this blusher and would buy it again and again. NARS Blush in Orgasm is £21.50 and you can buy it here
4. Yves Saint Laurent Shocking Mascara. I love a mascara that lengthens thickens, that doesn't clump and makes your eyes look bigger - not asking much then. Prior to purchasing YSL's Shocking Mascara, I was using Givenchy Phenomenon eyes which has a ball shaped brush, amazing for 360 application and for coating the smaller lashes at the outer corner of the eye. I wanted to try something a little more dramatic, that gave more of a false lash effect for day time so I went for the YSL. It took me a couple of wears to get used to it but I'm loving how long lasting it is and how it widens the eyes. It definitely lengthens and defines, although it is ever so slightly clumpy and I can tell that the formula won't stay as fresh as the Givenchy, which last months in the bottle without getting clumpy at all. Despite this, YSL's Shocking Mascara is definitely one of my favourites. It's £23.50 and you can buy it here
5. Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick - Incognito 316. I read Huda Beauty blog a lot. I absolutely adore Huda's makeup and one of the products that she raves about is Dior's Incognito lipstick. I bought this a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I don't even know how to describe the colour, it's almost a medium beige/ purple beige tinted nude. I know that sounds really weird and not very enticing but it looks absolutely gorgeous and so natural on. I put my NARS in Turkish Delight lip gloss over the top of it and it looks amazing. These two products mixed together is the new way forward for nude lips in 2013, in my opinion anyway. This Dior lipstick is also so hydrating, described as having a 'wet-look texture' it's matte with enough shine to keep lips looking moisturised and glossy - love it but it is quite pricey at £24. You can buy Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick - Incognito 316 here
6. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. Brand new to the market, there has been a lot of hype about this product and having used it myself I now know why. I've never really given much thought to concealer before, I have used it but it's always been very low priority for me. I don't have bags or particularly dark circles so if I've run out of concealer I've always just used my foundation under my eyes. With NARS' creamy concealer I realise how wrong I was. Concealer is ultra important for giving your entire makeup look a lift. I went to the NARS counter to get colour matched and was given the shade Honey. Described as a 'warm peach tone for light to medium complexion' apparently this is the concealer given to people with a light olive complexion. When I put this on under my eyes, the difference it makes is quite amazing, immediately I look fresher, brighter and more alert - perfect for hiding the results of an all nighter! Seriously, this is such an amazing product, there's no caking or creasing as is often the case with a lot of concealers. One tip that the makeup artist did give me was to blend the product out from the inside corner of the eye but not to put the concealer too far into the outer corners otherwise it will highlight laughter/ expression lines. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer comes in 10 different shades, priced at £21.00 and you can buy it here